Reflection Essay Project: Interview and Observation with a Community Leader
(This assignment is for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year scholars)
Due: April 12
This project can be done as an individual or in teams of two people. The goal of this reflection assignment is to observe various community leaders and members in action.
- Interview a community leader
- Attend a related community event/ meeting
- Write a brief (3-5 pages) reflection essay that summarizes your interview and observation experiences.
- Include the name, organization, position title, and background of community leader and organization
- Provide a thoughtful analysis of how this experience informs your community service work.
Directions: Answer both questions in a 2-3 page, double-spaced reflective essay in 12 point Times New Roman font.
1. Compare your community service involvement to the “Babies in the River” parable (discussed in our October meeting) and at least one principle from Aaron Ausland’s Five Principles for the Community-Service Volunteer. Reflect on your perspectives and approach to solving difficult problems as a volunteer, project coordinator, or an executive student leader. Identify a current or reoccurring challenge that you face in the problem-solving process.
a. What is your decision making process? Where do you get information or advice about these issues? How do you apply this information?
b. Critically analyze your effectiveness and what you could do to improve or develop a deeper understanding of the root causes of the problem and the people that are impacted (including you, your peers, and the community)?
2. Describe your experience in the scholar group sessions this semester. How do you feel about the new format, what was the most valuable information and/or lessons have you taken from them? How do you believe it will aid you in advancing your involvement in community service and leadership? What are your plans for next semester?
*If you feel limited in your ability to answer any of the questions listed then explain how and why you feel limited. What do you think would give you better insight to help you to better answer the question(s)?
You must also upload 2 pictures of the service you have done this semester to the scholar facebook page.
Hope everyone had an awesome Thanksgiving break. Now with only 2 weeks left before finals heres a couple important announcements for the end of the semester…
- The December meeting will be Sunday December 2 in LBC room 203 (Stibbs) from 5pm-7pm
- Reflections will be due December 7th (look out for a post and an email with the prompt)
- Hours are also due December 7th by 5pm
- Don’t forget to sign up for the Small Steps, Big Wins challenge at http://smallsteps.netimpact.org/site/?referrer=PtsWsX6i5c#signup (be sure to use a non-Tulane email)
- A talk about Mental Illness and Homelessness with Cecile Tebo (Rogers Memorial Chapel: Thursday, November 29 at 6:00 pm.)
- Be sure to like the MLK Day Week4Peace page on facebook and follow the twitter feed. http://www.facebook.com/MlkWeek4Peace?fref=ts https://twitter.com/MLKWeek4Peace
- If you are interested in being a PC for MLK Day the application is due December 7th. Any questions please contact Jolia Raymond, email@example.com https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dDhDVW5DSHN1OVdlMlZ3a0FsOUxsSXc6MQ