Category Archives: Opportunities
Many people on Tulane’s campus don’t know about the varying student work positions offered through the Center for Public Service. One such work position is that of the Service Learning Assistant, or SLA. Service Learning Assistants are a support system offered to professors who choose to teach a service learning course. The main role of the Service Learning Assistant is to be a liaison between the students, the professor and the community partner the class is working with. Each Service Learning Assistant is assigned one or two courses that they are in charge of. At the beginning of the semester, they meet with the professors to gauge how far into the planning process the professor is. If the professor is new to service learning and does not know what partner they specifically want to work with, the Service Learning Assistant can help provide ideas for partners and facilitate the initial communication between the partner and the professor. Further into the semester, the Service Learning Assistant is there to help students with any problems they might come across while working with the project and completing their hours. Being a Service Learning Assistant is an enriching experience and helps expand ones understanding of the process of service learning. Sometimes while enrolled in a service learning course it is hard to understand why you are working with the project that you are, but if you ask your Service Learning Assistant they’d be glad to help you come to a better understanding of how the process works and why the courses are essential to your learning experience.
-Dylan Delisle, sophomore scholar
Welcome back! Hope everyone had a relaxing break!
Starting off the semester
- MLK Week 4 Peace: January 21-26, 2013: more information can be found at http://www.mlkweek4peace.com
- MLK Day of Service is Saturday January 26 from 8am-3pm at McAlister Auditorium. Registration opens January 18th. http://mlkweek4peace.eventbrite.com/
(This is a required event for ALL scholars)
- Scholar Group Session:Navigating Campus Resources and Power Mapping: Sunday January 27th, 6pm-8pm, LBC room 203 (stibbs)
There are some awesome service opportunities coming up this month.
- Habitat For Humanity Restore – Saturday October 20th
- CACTUS Halloween Day – Friday October 26th, 3-5, Bruff Quad
- Walk Now For Autism Speaks – Sunday October 28th, registration begins at 8:30 am, Audubon Park shelter #10
Other important dates to remember.
- Monthly CSS time log and reflection essay will be sent out October 10th
- Scholar Group Session (Social Identities and Community Service) – Sunday October 21st, 10am-1pm, LBC room 212 (Qatar Ballroom)